PastaPasta paul Thu, 02/26/2009 - 14:00
Linguine with CrabLinguine with Crab paul Wed, 02/25/2009 - 20:50
This is a fast, easy dinner to make. Perfect for wookies.
- 12-16 oz crab meat
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, minced or cilantro
- juice of two lemons
- 1 C olive oil
- 1 lb linguine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for sprinkling
- Put the crabmeat in a bowl
- Add the jalapeno, parlsey, lemon juice and garlic
- Mix all the ingredients well
- Cook the pasta until al dente
- Gently mix the pasta and the crab mixture
- Add salt and pepper
- Serve with olive oil for sprinkling
Spaghetti with Shrimp and GarlicSpaghetti with Shrimp and Garlic paul Wed, 02/25/2009 - 21:32
Faster than warp speed!
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz medium shrimp
- 1/2 red jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley or cilantro, stemmed and minced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Olive oil for sprinkling
- Heat oil in saucepan
- Saute garlic until soft
- Add the shrimp and chile
- Saute for 2 or 3 minutes or until the shrimp are pink
- Stir in the tomatoes and parsley
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente
- Mix spaghetti and shrimp mixture together
Eat it up like a bad wookie!
Spaghetti with Oregano and Cherry TomatoesSpaghetti with Oregano and Cherry Tomatoes paul Wed, 02/25/2009 - 23:58
15 minutes, yeah right. Maybe once the water is boiling. Still, it's fast. And good. 7 to 8 fresh oregano sprigs 2 T dried oregano, crushed in a mortar 20 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 C extra virgin olive oil salt and pepper to taste 12 oz spaghetti Mix the fresh and dried oregano together Combine the tomatoes, oil, salt and pepper Cook spaghetti al dente Drain the tomatoes, reserve the oil. Add the reserved oil to the spaghetti Add the oregano mixture to the spaghetti and mix well. Dish up ... put the marinated tomatoes on top of the pasta.
Pasta Salad with Shrimp and ScallopsPasta Salad with Shrimp and Scallops paul Thu, 02/26/2009 - 00:13
This is a long term project, not the 20 minutes in the otherwise excellent "Pasta, a Passion" book. 12 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 12 oz bay scallops 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 teaspoon lemon zest 2 T olive oil Freshly ground black pepper 12 oz pasta shells 1 red bell pepper Salt 6 oz sugar snap peas Lemon Mayonnaise 1/2 C mayo 1/2 C sour cream 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 T minced flat leave parsley or cilantro Leaves from 1 large head of romaine lettuce, cut into thick shreds Lime or lemon wedges for garnish Mix shrimp, scallops, garlic, zest, oil and pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours Cook pasta al dente, rinse in cold water Broil the pepper until the skin is blackened Put pepper in plastic bag and let sit for 10 minutes Remove skin from peppers and dice the peppers. Broil the shrimp and scallops until the shrimp are pink and scallops are opaque Cook the snap peas in boiling water for two minutes To make the mayonnaise, mix all ingredients in a large bowl Stir in the pasta, peppers, peas, shrimp and scallops Make a bed of Romaine, top with the salad, garnish with lemon or lime wedges Chow down like a bad dog!
Pasta with Ginger and ScallopsPasta with Ginger and Scallops paul Wed, 02/25/2009 - 20:58
About 1 hour, 20 minutes Marinade 6 T soy sauce 6 T water 1/2 C sake 4 T sugar 2 T fresh minced ginger 1/2 t minced jalapeno 1 T cornstarch 6 oz bay scallops 12 oz broccoli 1 lb spaghetti 1 T olive oil 2 red or green bell peppers, seeded, deribbed and cut into strips Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small saucepan Heat the marinade, stirring constantly until thickened Let cool Pour half the marinade into a bowl Add the scallops, let marinade at room temperature for an hour Preheat broiler Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute Rinse the broccoli in cold water Thread the scallops onto 12 wooden skewers Brush the scallops with marinade Broil the scallops, turning once Cook the pasta until al dente Heat the oil in a skillet Saute bell peppers until done, about 3 minutes. Add the marinade and cook 3 more minutes Stir in the broccoli and pasta Divide on 6 plates Put 2 skewers of scallops on each plate
Bolognese sauceBolognese sauce paul Fri, 09/07/2018 - 16:15
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pancetta or slab bacon, ground or thinly sliced and food processed until finely chopped
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cook onions, celery, carrot and garlic in oil in a 6-8 quart pot over moderate heat, stirring occaisionally , until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add pancetta, veal and pork. Cook over moderaly high heat, stirring and breaking up lumps until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, milk, wine, water and thyme. Gently simmer, covered, until sauce is thickened. 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add salt, pepper and remove from heat.
Sauce may be made up to 2 days haead and cooled, uncovered, before chilling, covered. Frozen, it keeps for 1 month.
Broccoli-Basil Mac and CheeseBroccoli-Basil Mac and Cheese paul Wed, 09/27/2017 - 19:09
- 1 small butternut, acorn, or other winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut into tiny chunks
- olive oil
- 1 bunch of basil, stems removed
- 2 slices good brown bread, stale or dried out in the oven
- 1/2 a small head of broccoli (100 g / 3.5 oz), roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- ~ 1 3/4 cups / 3.5 oz / 100 g grated white cheddar cheese
- ~ 1 3/4 cups / 3.5 oz / 100 g grated gruyere cheese
- a large handful of (yellow) cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups / 300 g dried (whole wheat) macaroni elbows
- Preheat your oven to 400F / 200C with a rack in the middle.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Place the squash on a large baking sheet, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- In the meantime, pulse half the basil, all of the bread, the broccoli and a lug of olive oil in a food processor until you've got a fine crumb. It'll be a bit damp - that's o.k. Transfer to a small bowl and give the processor a rinse. In a separate bowl, combine the creme fraiche and grated cheeses.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in the food processor with the remaining basil. Pulse a couple times to break things up, then add to the creme fraiche mixture and stir well.
- Boil the pasta in well-salted water for a bit less time than the package suggests - you want it ever so slightly undercooked. Drain, reserving a big cup of the hot pasta water for later use. Return the hot pasta to the pan and add the cheese mixture to it.
- Add the squash and give it a good stir. Add pasta water to thin the sauce to the consistency of cream. It can be a bit runny as the pasta will soak it up in the oven.
- Transfer everything to a large baking dish or casserole. Sprinkle the green breadcrumbs evenly across the top and bake for 20 -25 minutes or until the topping is crunchy. Remove from the oven, and wait 10 minutes before serving. Serves 8 - 10.
- Adapted from Hungry? The innocent recipe book for filling your family with good stuff by Anna Jones, Vanessa Hattersley, and innocent Prep time: 35 min - Cook time: 25 min Source: https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/broccolibasil-mac-and-cheese-reci…
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken PiccataInstant Pot Creamy Chicken Piccata
- 1 lb. boneless and skinless chicken breast, sliced horizontal into halves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon non-pareil capers in jar, use the capers only
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Wash and rinse the chicken breasts with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Slice horizontally. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a dish. Dredge the chicken generously with the flour.
Turn on the Saute mode on your Instant Pot. As soon as the pot is fully heated (to make sure the chicken doesn’t stick to the pot), add the olive oil and butter. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 2-3 minutes on each side until both sides turn brown. (You may brown the chicken on a regular skillet or non-stick skillet.
Add the garlic and cook a little bit. Add the chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, lemon juice and capers. Cover the pot and select Manual and set to High pressure for 10 minutes. When it beeps, turn to Quick Release. When the valve drops, remove the cover carefully. Turn to Saute mode for cook for 1 - 2 minutes to reduce the sauce. Add more salt and lemon juice to suit your taste. Top with the chopped parsley and serve immediately with some plain pasta such as spaghetti or linguine.
Nine minute pastaNine minute pasta paul Thu, 08/27/2015 - 19:10
- 12 ounces linguine
- 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
Simple spaghetti sauceSimple spaghetti sauce paul Sun, 03/15/2020 - 17:33
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 T sugar (please adjust to your taste)
- 1⁄2 t basil
- 1⁄2 t oregano
- 1⁄2 t black pepper
- 1⁄2 t salt
- 1 t crushed red pepper flakes (please adjust to your taste)
- Throw it all in a sauce pan, stir, simmer, cover and continue to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Season again to taste.
- **we like a spicy sweet sauce -- so please adjust the sugar and crushed red to your liking**.
Spaghetti SquashSpaghetti Squash paul Wed, 10/04/2017 - 17:38
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Squash Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. Place spaghetti squash with cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance.
- Remove squash from oven and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are warmed through.
- Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.
Comment: We really liked this new way to enjoy spaghetti squash. I did do some things differently. I microwaved the squash, both halves on a paper plate, skin side for 5 min. and open side covered with paper towel for 6 min. and it was done perfectly. Using suggestions from others, I sautéd red pepper and onion together, added one can of Italian style tomatoes, undrained, and ripe olives. Tossed it all together and tried to save enough leftovers for next day lunch.
Spicy Orecchiette With Tuna, Peas, and Lemon RecipeSpicy Orecchiette With Tuna, Peas, and Lemon Recipe
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound dried orechiette or mini shells
- 1 C frozen peas
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 t red chili flakes
- 1 (5oz) can of tuna in olive oil
- 1T lemon zest + 2t lemon juice
- 1/4C chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
A number of the comments on the source page suggest doubling the peas, oil, garlic and tuna for the mass of pasta
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. 30 seconds before pasta is done, add peas to the boiling water. Drain pasta and peas, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a small skillet medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and chili flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
When pasta is cooked, return pasta to now-empty pot. Add tuna, breaking it into chunky flakes as you add it. Add garlic and chili oil mixture to pasta and set over high heat. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid, lemon zest, and lemon juice and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce coats the pasta and thickens. Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Spring Pasta with asparagus and peasSpring Pasta with asparagus and peas paul Thu, 04/27/2017 - 13:30
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- ½ pound English peas, shelled (about 1 cup), or 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 ounces asparagus, sliced diagonally 1/8-inch thick (1 cup)
- 10 fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- 5 eggs, whisked, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish (2 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add the bacon, cooking for about 5 minutes, until crispy. Transfer the cooked bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel and set aside. Return the pan with the rendered fat to the stove top for future use.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the peas into the water and cook them for 5 minutes. Transfer them to a strainer with a slotted spoon or a spider basket. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the bacon fat in the sauté pan over medium heat. Add the peas and asparagus, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the basil, and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk. Have the egg mixture, vegetables and bacon ready to toss with very hot pasta.
- Quickly drain the pasta and transfer immediately to a large serving bowl. Pour the eggs and cheese on top of the pasta, and toss vigorously to coat the strands and gently cook the eggs, forming a creamy sauce. Add the vegetables and bacon, and continue tossing to incorporate them. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Portion the spaghetti on plates and ladle any sauce left in the bowl over each serving. Grate additional cheese on top if you like.
Sweet potato ravioliSweet potato ravioli paul Mon, 05/28/2018 - 13:25
Sweet Potato Filling
2 lbs sweet potatoes
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
3 cups flour
1/4 cup water
Basil Brown Butter Sauce
¼ cup butter
2 tbsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
- Begin by peeling and cubing the sweet potatoes.
- Place in a large pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the pasta dough.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle then add the eggs.
- Combine well, then add the water until a solid ball forms that is not dry, yet not sticky. If dry, add additional water. If sticky, add additional flour.
- Divide the dough into four pieces then roll each piece of dough into thin sheets either by hand or with a pasta roller.
- Use a 3 inch diameter pastry cutter to cut the ravioli shapes from the dough.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain and cool, then add to a large mixing bowl with the brown sugar, butter, nutmeg and cloves.
- Use an electric hand mixer to mash.
- Next, place a dollop of the sweet potato mixture onto half of the ravioli pasta shapes, then top with the other half.
- Use your finger to crimp the edges closed.
- Continue until all of the raviolis are complete.
- Working in batches place 4-6 raviolis in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the butter in a skillet next to the pot, melt over medium-high heat until the butter begins to brown, then toss the basil in.
- Drain the raviolis from the water then place into the Basil Brown Butter Sauce.
- Saute on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Place onto a plate and drizzle with additional sauce then top with the toasted walnuts.
- 100g type 00 or cake flour, per serving you wish to make
- 1 extra large egg, per serving. There are special pasta eggs in Italy with almost florescent yolks. I've no idea what they add to the recipe other than color.
- 1 T olive oil per serving
- place the flour on the table, make a volcano caldera out of it. ie hollow center with a ring of flour. You can do this in a bowl, too, if you want a small mess on your table/countertop.
- Crack open the eggs and place in the center of the flour caldera.
- Mix the eggs first, then start working in the flour. Don't mix too much flour in at once as you might not have enough egg to wet it out. If you end up too dry, don't worry, just put in some olive oil.
- You should end up with a nice elastic ball that doesn't stick to your hands. Knead gently the table or cutting board. Add a good splash of olive oil for each serving and work it in. The ball should be even more elastic. Add flour so it doesn't stick to your hands and isn't too oily.
- If you're making a big batch, consider dividing it up into portions for two people at a time. Rolling out more than two servings at once will either take an extra wide pin or will be very long. Three servings might be manageable, but four will overwhelm you especially if this is your first time making pasta.
- Press your pasta ball out into an oblong shape with your hands. Flour your work surface, flour the top of the pasta lump. Start rolling. You want end up with a rectangular sheet nearly as wide as your rolling pin (assuming you have a regular US style rolling pine, not a meter long Italian restaurant pin). Length is dependent on how much dough you have and its thickness. Dough for two servings rolls out to about 80cm for me. Make it about 2/3rds as thick as you want to end up with as the pasta will absorb water and thicken when cooked. The pasta should be quite elastic and strong, so go ahead and tug on the corners to square them up if you like. With a small amount of practice, you should be able to roll out pasta for two in five to ten minutes.
- Set the pasta sheet on a towel to dry for an hour or two. It should still be flexible, not crusty, when the drying process is over.
- From grabbing the flour and eggs to drying the pasta sheet takes me less than 15 minutes after three batches. Time might go down to ten minutes with more practice.This isn't a time consuming process!
- Fold the long edges in towards the center -- leave them about a 1/2 inch from the center. Fold the long edges in again then fold one of the halves onto the other half. The 1/2 gap you left keeps the center of the pasta sheet from stretching when you make that last fold.
- Slice the pasta into tagliatelle, an eighth to a quarter inch wide. I like thinner rather than wider, myself.
- Grab a handful of the rolled up pasta and shake to unroll. Place on a plate in loose piles. Don't stack too high else the pasta will stick together. This can be covered and refrigerated for a day or two, I think, if you're preparing a dinner ahead of time.
- Ready to cook! Add the pasta to boiling, well salted water. Don't cook too much at one time as the water needs to circulate freely around the pasta. Unlike boxed pasta, this cooks in just a few minutes. When it floats to the top of the water, scoop out with a sieve or large slotted spoon and serve with your favorite sauce. Repeat until done.