Sweet Potato Filling
2 lbs sweet potatoes
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
3 cups flour
1/4 cup water
Basil Brown Butter Sauce
¼ cup butter
2 tbsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
- Begin by peeling and cubing the sweet potatoes.
- Place in a large pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the pasta dough.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl, make a well in the middle then add the eggs.
- Combine well, then add the water until a solid ball forms that is not dry, yet not sticky. If dry, add additional water. If sticky, add additional flour.
- Divide the dough into four pieces then roll each piece of dough into thin sheets either by hand or with a pasta roller.
- Use a 3 inch diameter pastry cutter to cut the ravioli shapes from the dough.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain and cool, then add to a large mixing bowl with the brown sugar, butter, nutmeg and cloves.
- Use an electric hand mixer to mash.
- Next, place a dollop of the sweet potato mixture onto half of the ravioli pasta shapes, then top with the other half.
- Use your finger to crimp the edges closed.
- Continue until all of the raviolis are complete.
- Working in batches place 4-6 raviolis in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the butter in a skillet next to the pot, melt over medium-high heat until the butter begins to brown, then toss the basil in.
- Drain the raviolis from the water then place into the Basil Brown Butter Sauce.
- Saute on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Place onto a plate and drizzle with additional sauce then top with the toasted walnuts.