- 1 1/2 cups dry red beans or kidney beans or 2 cans beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, quartered, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground round
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can mild green chile peppers
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- dash cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
Prepare beans unless using cans. Rinse dry beans, cover with cold water, and let soak overnight. Drain, transfer to a large saucepan, and cover with fresh water. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until tender. Drain.
In a large skillet, brown the onion, pepper, and ground beef in oil. Add the tomatoes, chile peppers, tomato sauce, and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding a little water if needed to keep from sticking. Check and stir frequently. Add the cooked or canned beans and heat through.