INGREDIENTS for 4 servings
FOR THE BEEF BULGOGI:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce or Gochujang Chili Sauce, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup asian pear
- 2 pounds ribeye or top sirloin steaks, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (freeze for 10 minutes to ease slicing!)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
FOR ASSEMBLING THE BOWLS:
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 4 fried eggs
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought kimchi
- 1 English cucumber, cut into ribbons
MAKE THE BEEF BULGOGI:
In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and shallots.
Add the sliced beef to the bowl with the marinade and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate the beef for a minimum of 2 hours and up to overnight.
Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the vegetable oil then using a slotted spoon, add the marinated beef, searing it quickly on all side and being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Transfer the beef to a plate.
ASSEMBLE THE BOWLS:
Divide the rice among four serving bowls and top it with the beef bulgogi.
Top each bowl with a fried egg, a portion of kimchi and cucumber ribbons. Serve immediately.