- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pancetta or slab bacon, ground or thinly sliced and food processed until finely chopped
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cook onions, celery, carrot and garlic in oil in a 6-8 quart pot over moderate heat, stirring occaisionally , until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add pancetta, veal and pork. Cook over moderaly high heat, stirring and breaking up lumps until no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, milk, wine, water and thyme. Gently simmer, covered, until sauce is thickened. 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add salt, pepper and remove from heat.
Sauce may be made up to 2 days haead and cooled, uncovered, before chilling, covered. Frozen, it keeps for 1 month.